When it comes to cleaning your household items, you might not have considered using your dishwasher for anything other than dishes. However, you might be surprised to learn that there are many surprising items that can be easily cleaned in your dishwasher.
Not only will this save you time and effort, but it can also help to ensure that your items are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
One of the most surprising items that can be cleaned in a dishwasher is baseball caps. While it might seem counterintuitive to put a hat in the dishwasher, it can actually be an effective way to get your caps clean without damaging them. Simply place the hat on the top rack of your dishwasher and run it through a cycle with no detergent. Once it’s done, reshape the hat and let it air dry.
Another surprising item that can be cleaned in a dishwasher is toys. If your children’s toys are looking a bit grubby, simply place them in a mesh laundry bag and put them in the dishwasher. Be sure to use a gentle cycle with no detergent, and avoid putting any toys with batteries or electronics in the dishwasher. Once the cycle is done, remove the toys from the bag and let them air dry.
Table of Contents
Kitchen Items That Can Be Cleaned in a Dishwasher
While it may seem like a dishwasher is only good for cleaning plates and utensils, it can actually be used to clean a surprising number of kitchen items. Here are a few items you may not have thought to clean in your dishwasher:
- Cooking Tools: Many cooking tools, such as spatulas, whisks, and tongs, can be safely cleaned in the dishwasher. Just make sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions first to ensure that the item is dishwasher safe.
- Cutting Boards: Cutting boards can harbor bacteria and other germs, making them a prime candidate for a deep clean in the dishwasher. Just make sure to separate plastic cutting boards from wooden ones, as the high heat and water pressure can damage wooden boards over time.
- Coffee Makers: Believe it or not, many coffee makers can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Just make sure to remove any removable parts, such as the carafe and filter basket, before putting them in the dishwasher.
It’s important to note that not all kitchen items are safe to clean in the dishwasher. Items made of certain materials, such as cast iron or copper, should never be cleaned in the dishwasher as it can damage the material and ruin the item. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions before putting an item in the dishwasher.
By taking advantage of your dishwasher’s cleaning power, you can save time and energy while ensuring that your kitchen items are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
Non-Kitchen Items That Can Be Cleaned in a Dishwasher
Did you know that your dishwasher can clean more than just dishes? Here are some non-kitchen items that can be safely cleaned in your dishwasher:
If your child’s plastic toys are dishwasher-safe, toss them in for a quick and easy clean. Be sure to remove any batteries or electronic components first.
2. Hairbrushes and Combs
Remove hair and debris from your hairbrushes and combs, then place them in the utensil holder of your dishwasher for a thorough clean.
3. Pet Bowls and Toys
Just like your child’s toys, your pet’s toys and bowls can also be cleaned in the dishwasher. Be sure to remove any food or debris first.
Over time, mineral buildup can clog your showerhead and reduce water flow. To clean it, remove the showerhead and place it in the top rack of your dishwasher.
5. Baseball Caps
Place your baseball caps in the top rack of your dishwasher to clean and refresh them. Be sure to shape the cap and secure it in place with clothespins to prevent it from losing its shape.
6. Flip Flops and Sandals
Remove any dirt or debris from your flip flops and sandals, then place them in the top rack of your dishwasher for a quick and easy clean.
Remember to always check the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning any item in your dishwasher. Not all items are dishwasher-safe, and some may require special care.
Items that should not be cleaned in a dishwasher
While the dishwasher can be a great time saver for cleaning a variety of items, there are some things that should never be cleaned in the dishwasher. Here are a few items to avoid:
- Cast Iron Cookware – The high heat and harsh detergents in the dishwasher can strip the seasoning from cast iron cookware, causing it to rust and lose its non-stick properties.
- Wooden Utensils – The high heat and moisture in the dishwasher can cause wooden utensils to warp, crack, and split over time.
- Gold-Plated Items – The harsh detergents in the dishwasher can strip the gold plating from items, leaving them dull and discolored.
- Crystal and Fine China – The high heat and strong water pressure in the dishwasher can cause delicate crystal and fine china to chip, crack, or even break.
- Non-Stick Cookware – The harsh detergents and high heat in the dishwasher can damage the non-stick coating on cookware, causing it to wear down faster and lose its effectiveness.
While it may be tempting to toss everything into the dishwasher, it’s important to read the manufacturer’s instructions and care guidelines for each item to ensure that it’s safe to clean in the dishwasher. By taking the time to properly care for your items, you can extend their lifespan and keep them looking their best for years to come.
Tips for Cleaning Items in a Dishwasher
While dishwashers are great for cleaning dishes, there are a few tips to keep in mind when cleaning other items in the dishwasher.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions before putting any item in the dishwasher. Some items may not be dishwasher safe.
- Place items securely in the dishwasher to prevent them from moving around during the wash cycle. This can help prevent damage to both the item and the dishwasher.
- Use a gentle cycle and avoid using high heat settings. High heat can cause damage to certain items, such as plastic or delicate glassware.
- Remove any excess food or debris from the item before placing it in the dishwasher. This can help prevent clogs and ensure a more thorough cleaning.
- Consider using a specialized dishwasher detergent or cleaning solution for certain items, such as baby bottles or sports bottles.
By following these tips, you can safely and effectively clean a variety of items in your dishwasher, from toys to tools to even your showerhead!
The dishwasher is a versatile appliance that can clean more than just dishes. By using the right techniques and following the manufacturer’s instructions, you can safely clean a variety of household items in your dishwasher.
Some of the surprising items that can be cleaned in a dishwasher include:
- Baseball caps
- Plastic toys
- Makeup brushes
- Garden tools
However, it’s important to note that not all items can be cleaned in a dishwasher, and some may even be damaged by the high heat and water pressure. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions and do a spot test before cleaning any new items in your dishwasher.
Overall, the dishwasher can be a useful tool for cleaning a variety of household items. With a little experimentation and caution, you may be surprised at what you can clean in your dishwasher!