Do you use your phone and computer on a daily basis? Have you ever considered the significance of keeping them physically clean? If you’re similar to the majority of individuals, it would be beneficial for you to gain more knowledge about this crucial aspect of owning these remarkable devices.
In this article, we will emphasize the significance of cleaning your phone and computer, and provide some useful suggestions on how to accomplish it effectively.
Table of Contents
Why should you care if your devices are clean?
Let’s be honest here – your computer and phone are constantly being touched by your fingers.
Whether it’s holding your phone against your face, passing it around, or even taking it with you to the bathroom, hygiene is crucial. Surprisingly, did you know that the average phone carries ten times more bacteria than a toilet seat?
The same applies to your computer. While you may not share it as much, you’re constantly touching it after coming into contact with various surfaces, and then possibly touching your face and eyes.
Phones and computers serve as convenient vehicles for spreading germs and viruses, making it essential to keep them clean to maintain good hygiene.
But that’s not all – maintaining the cleanliness of your devices can also impact their performance.
How do you clean your phone?
Cleaning your phone is a breeze, as it only requires attention to the exterior. It is recommended to clean your phone twice a week, following these simple steps:
- Remove the protective case from your phone.
- Power down your phone.
- Take a clean microfiber cloth, either dry or slightly dampened, and gently polish your phone and its case to eliminate any dust or debris.
- Use your preferred brand of pre-moistened disinfectant wipe to wipe down your phone and its case. If the wipe is overly saturated, make sure to wring it out before use. Avoid using strong cleaners or excessive moisture on your phone. Opt for disinfectant wipes specifically designed for electronic devices.
- Allow your phone and case to sit for approximately five minutes, allowing the disinfectant to work effectively. Then, let them air dry.
- For an added measure of cleanliness, give your phone and case a final wipe with a clean microfiber cloth to ensure they are completely dry and free from any missed dust, debris, or smudges.
- Reattach the case to your phone, and you’re all set to go.
With these straightforward steps, your phone will be refreshed and ready for use.
How do you clean your computer?
To ensure your computer stays clean and functions optimally, it’s important to give it a thorough cleaning both inside and out. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Cleaning the external parts:
Begin with the screen:
- Use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe away any dust.
- For fingerprints and smudges, spray a small amount of 70% isopropyl alcohol on a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the screen, including the edges. Avoid bleach, window or glass cleaner, or eyeglass cleaner. You can find screen cleaning fluid at your local office supply or other stores.
Move on to the keyboard:
- Use a vacuum, brush, or blasts of compressed air to remove dust and debris from the surface and between the keys.
- Swipe a microfiber cloth over the keys and surface to ensure all dust and debris are picked up.
- Wipe a disinfectant cloth over the keys and surface to eliminate germs and viruses.
- Allow the keyboard to air dry for approximately five to ten minutes before using it.
Cleaning the internal components:
It’s recommended to clean the inside of your computer every three to six months. You can accomplish this by using a can of compressed air. Here’s how:
- Refer to your computer’s owner’s manual for instructions on opening the case properly.
- Unplug your computer before starting any cleaning procedure.
- Once the case is open, identify areas where dust has accumulated.
- Use your fingers to remove any noticeable clumps of dust.
- Hold a can of compressed air upright and gently spray it into the internal components, including the vents. Ensure that you cover all areas and be cautious not to apply excessive force. Continue spraying until there is no visible dust remaining.
- Finally, close the case securely.
By following these steps, you can keep your computer clean and maintain its optimal performance.